Whether it is because you’re moving home, have a new addition to the family or are just sick of clutter taking up too much of your living space, chances are at some point you are going to have to a clear out and get rid of extra junk in your house. We’ve put together some tips to help you make the process as painless as possible.
Before you even begin to start sorting the junk from the rest, make your life easier by getting prepared first:
- Have boxes or bags ready to put rubbish into, and/or allocate an area or room where you can dump it until you’re ready to get rid of it.
- Get some friends or family around to help you as they can not only help you move heavier items more easily but can also make it more fun. Promise them pizza or a beer in return for their time.
- Set yourself a deadline so you don’t dither and procrastinate. Call the junk removal company and arrange a date for them to collect so you have no choice but to get cracking.
Sorting out the junk
Before you can clear the junk from your home, you need to sort it out from the rest, which is probably the hardest part:
- Tackle one room at a time so you don’t get too overwhelmed.
- Be ruthless and only keep things that you love or use, not those things that you think you may possibly need one day – remember the goal is to reclaim your space.
- If you are donating some of the junk to a charity shop or giving it away to friends or family then immediately put these items in a separate area to those that are going to be dumped. You don’t want to have another sorting out job to do again afterwards.
- Some people find it helps to use a timer to prevent getting distracted. Give yourself a goal to clear a specific area or room and set the timer to go off after a manageable chunk of time to do it in. Reward yourself with a cup of tea each time you meet your goal.
- Put on some music and try to make it fun!
Removing the junk from your home
Once you have sorted the junk out you need to get rid of it. There are several different options open to you:
- Take it to the tip yourself
- Fill a skip and get it taken away
- Hire a junk clearance company to do it for you
If you live in London, taking the junk to the tip yourself can be difficult. First of all you will probably have to make several trips unless you have access to a truck or van. Secondly there is the issue of finding parking nearby – you don’t want to be lugging all the junk down the road.
Hiring a skip presents similar problems in London. As well as needing somewhere to park the skip you will also probably need to get a permit and this can end up adding to your expenses. If the skip isn’t right outside your door you will also need to carry all the junk to where it is parked. Other issues are that sometimes you don’t need to get rid of enough junk to fill a whole skip but will still have to pay the same, or you may find other people dumping their rubbish in your skip and end up running out of space.
The easiest solution is hiring a London junk clearance company to do it for you. They will not only carry the junk down to their trucks but will usually also clear up afterwards for you, leaving your home clean and tidy without any hard work on your part.
London Junk will give you a quote upfront so you won’t get any unexpected charges related to parking or permits. You will also only pay for the junk we take away. Find out more on our website or give us a call now and arrange for us to clear your junk at your convenience.